CHRISTUS Spohn Health System celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2015, honoring the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word and Dr. Arthur E. Spohn, as well as thousands of current associates.
On July 26, 1905, the doors of the first Spohn Hospital opened on North Beach in Corpus Christi. The Sisters were there to greet and care for the first patient. Dr. Spohn was there, too. It was he who had the vision to build a hospital where he could care for the 7,000 residents of Corpus Christi at the time.
Fourteen years later, a devastating hurricane destroyed the building, killing four people, including one Sister. In 1923, a 50-bed Spohn Hospital on Third Street was dedicated. That facility is now known as CHRISTUS Spohn Hospital-Shoreline.
The original efforts of the Sisters and Dr. Spohn helped to build up what today is CHRISTUS Spohn Health System.
We are proud to carry on the tradition of our founders to extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ in the Coastal Bend. It remains our honor and privilege to serve the families and communities of South Texas.