The CHRISTUS Spohn Foundation is thrilled to announce the speaker for the 29th annual Lyceum on Tuesday, April 25 at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi.
Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple Computer Inc., will offer his thoughts on a variety of technological topics, in addition to taking part in a moderated question-and-answer session at the event.
“The Woz” helped shape the computing industry with his design of Apple’s first line of products, the Apple I and II, and influenced the popular Macintosh. In 1976, Wozniak and Steve Jobs founded Apple Computer Inc. Wozniak was awarded the National Medal of Technology in 1985, the highest honor bestowed on leading innovators.
After leaving Apple in 1985, Wozniak was involved in numerous business and philanthropic ventures, focusing primarily on computer capabilities in schools and stressing hands-on learning and encouraging creativity for students. Making significant investments of both his time and resources in education, he “adopted” the Los Gatos (Calif.) School District, providing students and teachers with hands-on teaching and donations of state-of-the-art technology equipment. He founded the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and was the founding sponsor of the Tech Museum, Silicon Valley Ballet and Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose.
In 2000, he was inducted into the Inventors Hall of Fame for “single-handedly designing the first personal computer and for redirecting his lifelong passion for mathematics and electronics toward lighting the fires of excitement for education in grade school students and their teachers.”
The 2017 Lyceum will help support Our PATH Forward (People & Actions Transforming Healthcare) and CHRISTUS Spohn’s construction of the new Level II Trauma Center at the Shoreline campus in Corpus Christi.
The only Level II Trauma Center south of San Antonio will ensure that all residents who seek comfort and healing in times of greatest need are treated with the most advanced technology and kindhearted compassion. The Coastal Bend’s lead trauma center is responsible for providing life-saving treatment to residents of Aransas, Bee, Brooks, Duval, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Live Oak, McMullen, Nueces, Refugio and San Patricio counties.
For more information, please call Linda Arnold, Director of Development, at 361-881-3940 or email email@example.com.
The annual CHRISTUS Spohn Lyceum has a rich tradition beginning in 1989 with Henry Kissinger, the 56th Secretary of State. Lyceum guests enjoy an exquisite dinner and hear presentations from some of our era’s most influential speakers and leaders.
Lyceum Tradition of Excellence
- 2016: Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and author David McCullough
- 2015: Political commentator Charles Krauthammer
- 2014: Former Mexican President Vicente Fox
- 2013: Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
- 2012: Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair
- 2011: Former President George W. Bush
- 2010: Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee
- 2009: Businessman and financier T. Boone Pickens
- 2008: Author James Bradley
- 2007: Former college football coach Lou Holtz
- 2006: Author Mitch Albom
- 2005: Pulitzer Prize-winning commentator George Will
- 2004: Former Commander of U.S. Central Command Gen. Tommy Franks
- 2003: Publishing executive Steve Forbes
- 2002: Former Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo
- 2001: Former First Lady Barbara A. Bush
- 2000: Former Secretary of State and White House Chief of Staff James Baker III
- 1999: Former President George H. W. Bush
- 1998: Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
- 1997: Former Statesman and retired Gen. Colin Powell
- 1996: Political commentator James Carville and Mary Matalin
- 1995: Former Vice President Dick Cheney
- 1994: Dr. William Bennett
- 1993: Former Diplomat Dr. Jeane J. Kirkpatrick
- 1992: American Humorist Art Buchwald
- 1991: Author and commentator William Buckley Jr.
- 1990: Broadcaster Walter Cronkite
- 1989: Former Secretary of State Dr. Henry Kissinger