2020 CHRISTUS Spohn Lyceum
Join us on Tuesday, April 14, 2020 for the CHRISTUS Spohn Lyceum featuring former Secretary of State,
Rex W. Tillerson
A native of Wichita Falls, Texas, Tillerson graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering before joining ExxonMobil Corporation in 1975 as a Production Engineer. He rose through the ranks and following a number of domestic and foreign assignments, he became President of the corporation in 2004 and Chairman and Chief Executive Officer in 2006 through 2016 when he retired after more than 41 years at the corporation. Tillerson served as the Nation’s 69th Secretary of State from February 2017 to March 2018.
Proceeds from this year’s Lyceum will go toward the Neuro-Trauma Intensive Care Units at CHRISTUS Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi – Shoreline as part of the People & Actions Transforming Healthcare (Our PATH Forward) Campaign. With the advanced capabilities and technical resources required to perform highly complex diagnoses and treatment, CHRISTUS Spohn Hospital is the major provider of neurological and trauma services in South Texas.
We are honored to have American Bank return as the Presenting Sponsor for this year’s Lyceum.
For more information, please call Patricia Cano, Director of Development, at 361-881-3611 or email email@example.com.
About the Event
Held each year, the CHRISTUS Spohn Health System Foundation hosts the CHRISTUS Spohn Lyceum to raise money to support the world-class care provided each day at CHRISTUS Spohn. This premier event attracts business leaders and individuals to raise funds and awareness for health care initiatives that impact the well-being of South Texans. The proceeds have previously benefitted the Interventional Radiology Department and the Level II Trauma Center at CHRISTUS Spohn – Shoreline, the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Family Health Center, the Emergency Medicine and Family Medicine Residency Programs, Mother and Baby Services, and many other programs.
The Lyceum has a rich tradition of having influential speakers and leaders at the event beginning in 1989 with the 56th Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger. Other past CHRISTUS Spohn Lyceum speakers include:
- 2019: Former U.S. Senator, Alan Simpson
- 2018: Author, Walter Isaacson
- 2017: Apple Computer Inc., co-founder Steve Wozniak
- 2016: Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and author, David McCullough
- 2015: Political commentator, Charles Krauthammer
- 2014: Former Mexican President, Vicente Fox
- 2013: Former Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice
- 2012: Former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair
- 2011: Former President, George W. Bush
- 2010: Former Arkansas Gov., Mike Huckabee
- 2009: Businessman and financier, T. Boone Pickens
- 2008: Author, James Bradley
- 2007: Former college football coach, Lou Holtz
- 2006: Author, Mitch Albom
- 2005: Pulitzer Prize-winning commentator, George Will
- 2004: Former Commander of U.S. Central Command Gen., Tommy Franks
- 2003: Publishing executive, Steve Forbes
- 2002: Former Mexican President, Ernesto Zedillo
- 2001: Former First Lady, Barbara A. Bush
- 2000: Former Secretary of State and White House Chief of Staff, James Baker III
- 1999: Former President, George H. W. Bush
- 1998: Former British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher
- 1997: Former Statesman and retired Gen., Colin Powell
- 1996: Political commentator, James Carville and Mary Matalin
- 1995: Former Vice President, Dick Cheney
- 1994: Dr. William Bennett
- 1993: Former Diplomat, Dr. Jeane J. Kirkpatrick
- 1992: American Humorist, Art Buchwald
- 1991: Author and commentator, William Buckley Jr.
- 1990: Broadcaster, Walter Cronkite
- 1989: Former Secretary of State, Dr. Henry Kissinger